Thursday, May 22, 2008

Marketing Is NOT a WAR


It's becoming very hip lately to refer to marketing in military and especially warlike terms.
Mark Joyner, of Aesop.com, is especially big about this.
(which I just finished reading), Mark
In fact, in his new book Mind Control Marketing
takes the perspective that selling something is a "fight to the death" between you and
your customers where your goal is to "conquer their resistance"

WHAT?!

Now, maybe I'm still young and naive when compared to the great Mark Joyner, but I like
to think of marketing as a bridge between people's wants and a solution to extinguish
those wants (which is where the products come in). In short, I still see marketing as a
benevolent act that should be undertaken with honesty and sincerity - not a battle
to be won.
When I buy a product, it's because I wanted it. Sure, I've been scammed before, but I'm
still pleased with the vast majority of my purchases because I wanted something that a
particular product or service could fill. The owner didn't need to wear down my
resistance, she simply needed to recognize my wants and seek to meet them at a
reasonable price.
So if you're reading this with an open mind, here's the lesson I hope you take with you...
Seek to create products (and services) that genuinely help
people and meet their most pressing wants.
If you do that, then all your marketing has to do is isolate the targeted prospects and
show them how your product does what it says it will do. Do that and you won't need any
"mind control" tactics or "hypnotic selling" strategies.
But then again, that's just my take on it...let me know what you think...

No comments: